Lighthouse

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Yakout87

Lighthouse

Post by Yakout87 »

New guy here! Trying to put out at the lighthouse for the 1st time soon if the weather gets right. Is it best to go east to stay away from the boats coming out the mouth of the river?
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lighthouse

Post by jsuber »

Its best to launch at the lighthouse and not the boat ramp. About 100 yards away at the edge of the lighthouse parking lot is a kayak launch. There is a horseshoe bar right out in front of you. Another good place is Wakulla Beach. Check out the link to launch sites on the home page at fcka.net and there is a google map with lots of launch sites
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
Yakout87

Post by Yakout87 »

I had originally planned on wakulla beach but several others from the big bend forum warned me about the tides and drunk locals in that area. Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to check that bar out this weekend.
Yakout87

Post by Yakout87 »

Had any luck with the 3 coves to the east? Sand, Minnie and big I think?
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Welcome Yakout87! Around long bar right in front of the lighthouse is generally pretty good but it gets a lot of pressure. To the East, Big Cove and Stoney Bayou are good and I like to fish West along the bars toward Pelican Point also. Wakulla Beach can be good. The tides there are no big deal except for a really low one in which case a lot of places suck. Just watch for the negative lows. Drunk locals can pop up anywhere. Like yellow flies and sand gnats, they are a pain in the ass but probably here to stay.
DKWakulla
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by DKWakulla »

Bottoms road or Levy bay in Panacea are both great launches. Lanark is really good as well, although a bit far for a near-woodville resident such as myself. Sun N Sand in the back end of alligator harbor is another of my favorites to get out of the wind.