Fall fishing

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Fall fishing

Post by Yak Crevalle »

We're usually down at SGI fishing the bay in mid-late June every year. We're thinking about coming back the first week of October. Is there anything that you do differently fishing in October compared to in the summer? Do reds, trout, and flounder behave differently to where I need to target new areas or use different lure presentations? Thanks for any help. I've got things pretty well figured out in June and would hate for October to be a bust because I'm not prepared for the fish to behave differently.
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fall fishing

Post by jsuber »

Fishing is year round except for tarpon and that time is now.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Yak Crevalle »

Oh, I know it's year round. I'm just wondering if I might need to target different areas than I usually would in the summer. There are some good grass flats and submerged grass lines on high tide that I can target to find reds pretty reliably in the summer and I'm wondering if they will be just as productive in early October.
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

It will be much more productive than in the heat of the summer, no question. October can be one of the best months of the year. Good luck
You should have been here yesterday
Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Yak Crevalle »

salty gator wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:28 am It will be much more productive than in the heat of the summer, no question. October can be one of the best months of the year. Good luck
I like the sound of that. Thanks for the feedback.
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo
Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Yak Crevalle »

Well, I don't think there was a lot of relief from summer type temps last week but the fishing was great. The topwater action was outstanding on the flats and I've never caught so many reds on topwater. Caught my biggest red at 25.5" and biggest trout at just shy of 24". It was a great week.
20191002_130220.jpg
This was just one morning trip with my father out on the kayaks. He got the top three trout (or the three on the left if the photo is on its side) and I brought in the bottom four. Many others released. Also had a small trout that was hanging out of the mouth of a huge one that decided to try to get an easy meal but spit it out at the kayak. The little 13" trout swam away just fine. That was a first for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

I hear trout catching is on fire, and a friend in a stinkpot caught lots of redfish.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon