SAGE BASS II REVIEW (updated)

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

SAGE BASS II REVIEW (updated)

Post by bk »

As a preface to this review i should explain what has brought me to purchase this combo.
In freshwater fishing for bass, bream, and specs in our local ponds and lakes, i have found that a shorter flyrod offered advantages over a longer one. Reason being, was that out of a kayak, a more accurate cast was more important than a longer cast. For that reason, i use a 7'-6" tfo lefty series 5/6wt. I have always felt that i have an advantage over conventional tackle in freshwater when it comes to quantity of fish caught. And so about a couple years ago when i decided to take up the fly in the salt, i figured, no problem. However, that was not to be the case.

After some research, i purchased a nice 8wt loomis combo and headed out to the salt. A whole new set of challenges confronted me. Heavier flies, stronger winds, and heavier tackle. The latter being the bummer. It seems that i could never get used to throwing the 8wt. So i figured that i should step up the $$ and buy a really nice, light, professional grade rod and reel. So i did. And even though it was an improvement, i still never felt that i could throw a fly all day in the type of waters that i wanted to fish in. Then it came to me. The reason that the rods always seemed heavy to me was because of the length, not the weight. Boom! So then it was a matter of finding the right combo and liquidating the current gear. Done, and Done.

After some additional research i found what i believe to be the ideal saltwater combo for fly fishing tight, small, marsh areas, while sitting in a kayak.

The Sage Bass II, 7'-11" long, 290grain flyrod. Although labeled "smallmouth", it is described on most websites as being ideal for redfish, trout, and snook. The 7'-11" length makes it legal for bass fishing tournaments. The 290gr is equivalent to about a 7-8 wt line. The matching reel is super light, and is made to hold up to all water types. The rod is a 4 piece rod that is impeccably made. No worries about the the connections. The rod comes with the matching line, which is one of Sage's big parts of the system, in that the line is specifically matched to the rod. The reel comes with a Hard "soft" case, and the rod comes with the cloth covered, hard travel tube.

After throwing the combo in the yard for a good 30 minutes, my first response was holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiite! The flyline flies off of this rod. I can cast pretty well and have been fly fishing for quite a long time, but i have never been able to throw such heavy flies such a far distance before. 2 or 3 false casts and i was able to throw down to the backing! And although i typically don't have a need to throw this distance, it's nice to know that i can. The rod throws with ease and the combo is extremely well balanced for throwing all day. And on top of all of that, i was able to nail the target with continued accuracy. Can't wait to get this combo wet and soak some of these newly made poppers.

Last edited by bk on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
jross
Baitor
Baitor

Re: SAGE BASS II REVIEW

Post by jross »

Thank you for that! Very much.

Not finding (many) combo's, just the rod. Where'd you find the combo? Locally?

Thanks again,
Jeff
Art E Fischal
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Art E Fischal »

Makes me want to break out my long stick.
Great review/write up.
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

Nice work BK. It seems like a rod custom made for you and your style of fishing. That is the best that anyone can hope for.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
JT
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by JT »

Nice set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

jross wrote:Thank you for that! Very much.

Not finding (many) combo's, just the rod. Where'd you find the combo? Locally?

Thanks again,
Jeff
You can find the combo online, but I think that sage is selling the rod and reel separately now. I purchased the bass ll, 290gr and the sage 3880cf reel in blaze color.

On-line review
http://www.flyfisherman.com/2011/11/08/ ... od-series/

I plan on throwing it this weekend at some shallow reds. I'll post up another review afterwards.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Enjoyed following along with your evolution to finally get to this very nice combo that really suits your fishing style. You discovered what you need through trial/error/success. It's just a beauty of a fly rod and reel and what a wonderful assortment of flies that you whipped up! Looks like you've got the makings of some great late summer into fall outings!
Quite a nice review and pictures, brad. Look forward to the followup reports!
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Do you still use the 7'6" for lakes? Or will this be you go to combo?
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Great question crunch. Although the sage bass ll would be great for digging the big bass out of the pads and hydrilla, my plan is to continue to throw the shorter, lighter TFO 5wt in fresh. So the sage bass ll will be my saltwater rig. At least that's the plan.
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

bk wrote: At least that's the plan.
That sounds like a good plan, bk. Whip 'em with your rhythm stick!
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
IS2K1
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by IS2K1 »

Brad, thanks for the review. When I moved down here I had done some saltwater fly fishing in Martha's Vineyard and Cape Cod. I thought fly fishing was the way I would be going for saltwater. Guess I am somewhat like you in that I found I didn't like tossing a heavy rod/line/fly while sitting in a kayak while surrounded by marsh grasses that were above my head level. I finally gave up on my saltwater fly fishing dreams and went to spinning/bait casting.

You have perked my interest with this rod/reel combo. I need to find a Sage dealer that has this rod so I can test it. Since all my trout rods are Sage, this has really gotten my attention.
BearsFan
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by BearsFan »

Hit me up when you want to get out...
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: SAGE BASS II REVIEW (updated)

Post by bk »

So 16 months have passed since I purchased this combo and I have to say that it's been worth every penny paid.

It has more than exceeded my expectations and continuous to impress me. Casts like a charm with minimal effort, even in the wind. I have caught practically every species of fish that I target and the combo has yet to let me down.

I was originally concerned about it being a 4 piece rod but the compactness and convenience has made it easy to travel with and as a result I have been more apt to use it.

In the time since I purchased this combo, several other fly companies have issued similar type combos (shorter rod with a heavy wt forward line), so if your in the market for a new combo that won't wear you out throwing it all day, you ought to look into this concept.
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Cool beans, bk.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
LCallaghan
Tall Teller
Tall Teller