Need a kayak paddle!

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

fish-n-fool
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Need a kayak paddle!

Post by fish-n-fool »

Any suggestions pros or cons about your paddle and any recommendations on a decent paddle.

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff
Green Redfish 14 '
Camo Ultimate 14.5
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Need a kayak paddle!

Post by cotton »

I will leave the suggestions to the experts. I'm a cheapskate and here's my two cents. I've had 3 paddles. 1 Cheap, 1 not so cheap, 1 in the middle. There's a big difference between a $30 paddle and a $80 one. Not so much a difference between a $80 one and a $150. I wouldn't have a clue about the high end $300+ paddles. If you plan on using it a lot, sooner or later, they all break. I wouldn't begin to guess how many BK has broken.

So, for my money, I would stick to those in the mid-range. On my last trip home a found a surplus store selling mid-range paddles for $19. I noticed the same ones at BPS and Academy for $79-$89. I bought 2 and like them almost as much as the one I paid over $100 for.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

I got a used high end paddle (AT Fishstix). I would not have paid full price for it but it is pretty damn bombproof and light as a feather.That said I mostly pedal when I can and use the paddle to push off oysterbeds and for reverse gear so many other people will have more experience with their paddles....
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
gatoremt
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by gatoremt »

So the 2 piece fiberglass paddle for $69 at Academy would be a good first paddle?

Sent from under my bed
Griff ~ 14.5' UN
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit"What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate"
Deus bonus est,
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

I've had some $100 paddles and have a few $500 paddles. AT sent me a new Camo Fishstix for this year and it's bad to the bone. I love it. It's very light and paddles like a dream. I hear there are a few digital camos and I missed the boat on that.

Jeff Suber
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

For the money.... the Day Tripper has been great for me.

http://carlislepaddles.shptron.com/c/ka ... r?mobile=1

~~Dave
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

I am basically still a "Newbie" so take my input with a grain of salt. I invested in a carbon fiber paddle at Academy for a little over $100.00. It is noticeably lighter than the fiberglass models and I'm sure that does pay dividends for excursions or long paddles to a favorite fishing destination. When I first started fishing from a yak, I did a lot of scouting and it was not unusual for me to paddle 6-7 miles and would often get in a creek mouth and do several drifts with and against the current on the same trip.
What I found is that there are plenty of "fishy" areas that are fairly close to the identified kayak launch locations so the correct paddle is not as critical as I once thought it would be. I would agree to find a good mid-range paddle and invest your dollars elsewhere. I would say that up to this point that my best investment has been spending a half day with a professional kayak fishing guide or you could probably tag-a-long with one of the seasoned veterans on this site. Although you will pick up a wealth of knowledge by following these posts, I found it is the finer points that makes the difference between letting a fish ride in your cooler for a little while (inside joke) or getting skunked. And I have fished in Florida my whole life.
You can always upgrade your paddle somewhere down the road.
gatoremt
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by gatoremt »

Thanks for the input guys. I will get a mid range to begin with. I can't afford a AT wow the one I looked at was $354

Sent from under my bed
Griff ~ 14.5' UN
Deus bonus est,
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Carlisle yellow bladed paddle at Kevin's is a great paddle. Period.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
gatoremt
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by gatoremt »

Thanks BK. Bass Pro has them also. I saw the yellow paddle there. I think it was $29 I believe at BPS.
Griff ~ 14.5' UN
Deus bonus est,
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

gatoremt wrote:Thanks BK. Bass Pro has them also. I saw the yellow paddle there. I think it was $29 I believe at BPS.
probably a different yellow one. The carlisle i was referring to was the "expedition 220 cm". mfr $150
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
rudderman
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by rudderman »

don't go too cheap on a paddle. As soon as you upgrade you will never go back and that first paddle will always stay at home. Expect $100-$150.