St Marks Lighthouse

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

St Marks Lighthouse

Post by Mongo »

Have enjoyed reading posts on this forum. I am new to Kayak fishing though not new to Florida fishing (just one more vice). Given the tides, temperature and time of year would you suggest fisning the bar, hitting the inlets to the East of the lighthouse or venturing into East River this Saturday Feb 1st? Got spanked at WB last saturday though the weather was great and glass calm (very different than Mr Weatherman was calling for all week). Only stayed out about 2 hours due to first launch.
Any chance of getting a parking spot if I get there early?
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: St Marks Lighthouse

Post by Shorewalker »

The WHO Festival is at St. Marks Lighthouse on February 1 so it will be busy there. That said you should still be able to launch though. I would not suggest the long bar this time of year. The East River or Big Cove can be productive depending on conditions.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

Thanks for the info! I think WB is just to shallow for the low temperatures that we have been having. May try another launch site.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

i think wb has been hit pretty hard with the fishing pressure. last time i went there it looked like that scene from caddyshack. boats with full coolers, kayaks a plenty, local wildlife, and quite a few bird watchers. mayhem. cleaned out. :?
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

LOL! Actually only one other boat on the water that AM. Just good to get the boat wet. Half blame myself for no strikes, should have followed the post that suggested starting East and then quickly reversing course and heading West to confuse the fish. :20
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

There is nothing in front of the Lighthouse on the Long Bar until March when the bait comes back. That said, the East river and the grassy shorelines back to it (Pelican Point) are good areas and hold fish.
Also Big Cove (and Sandy Cove especially) should have sunning Reds on Saturday - 72 degrees in the sun. :lol:
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

Thanks! May try getting there early and just get the lay of the land during the slack low.
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

Never thought I would need a compass in a kayak! Fog rolled in pretty thick Sat. AM and lost sight of land before I knew it, was glad I had my cell phone with handy compass app!
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

Mongo wrote:Never thought I would need a compass in a kayak! Fog rolled in pretty thick Sat. AM and lost sight of land before I knew it, was glad I had my cell phone with handy compass app!
Navionics has a good app you may want to take a look at
You should have been here yesterday
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

Navionics has a good app you may want to take a look at
Thanks! Looks like will be helpful...will try it out next time I'm on the water.