Rod holders

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

fireguy29

Rod holders

Post by fireguy29 »

Anyone used or are using any railblaza products? Was curious how well they hold up to scotty or the old standard of atwoods? Is there anything different or new out there that I hadn't mentioned?
Ocean Kayak Prowler
Wilderness Tarpon 120
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Rod holders

Post by Shorewalker »

I have tried railblaza. Yak attack made a new design recently that is worth a look. Holds spinners on one side and bait caster by flipping it over. I will probably try it as my next holder.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
fireguy29

Post by fireguy29 »

I took a look at those, look pretty good, I like versatility! lol Did your railblaza bases hold up good? didn't know how well the little locking clicker would do after about a gazillion lockings and unlockings.
Ocean Kayak Prowler
Wilderness Tarpon 120
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

My bad. I blame my phone lol.

Should have read "I have never tried railblaza."

I have used Scott, Hobie, and Ram. Currently use the metal tube from Ram up front and the Hobie extenders in back plus my milk crate pic thing.

Before buying any of them try to take them to a kayak in the store with a similar mounting area to your current kayak and make sure they will have enough clearance for the rod butt.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
fireguy29

Post by fireguy29 »

lol, it's alright, mine just makes words up on its own! Thanks for the tip, I got an academy, gander mountain & dick's pretty close to where I live and bass pro in macon which is a lot further, I'll check them out, yep trying to get the yak set-up and ready to go, trying to get my seat area comfortable and functional.
Ocean Kayak Prowler
Wilderness Tarpon 120
fireguy29

Post by fireguy29 »

Found (2) wise brand rod holders marked down at k-mart of all places, they resemble the Scotty's or atwoods, a lot cheaper, only problem is you can't mount them on opposites sides of each other (mirror) because the nut for the thumbscrew is riveted in place but gonna play around with it and see if I can change it, for less than $23 I got dual mounts for my crate.
Ocean Kayak Prowler
Wilderness Tarpon 120