Fishing the lighthouse?

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

PCDevilFish

Fishing the lighthouse?

Post by PCDevilFish »

Some friends and I are going to be fishing your area on the sept. 12th. We have fished at the lighthouse before and did ok. I was looking at some maps and saw there were some coves to the left of the lighthouse would that do better for us. Any advice on your area would be helpful. thanks
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Fishing the lighthouse?

Post by bk »

The coves to the east of the lighthouse can be very productive, as can the flats out front. What are your targeted species?
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
PCDevilFish

Post by PCDevilFish »

reds, trout, flounder
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

I suppose it depends mostly on what type of fishing you enjoy. Artificials, bait, topwater, etc. Creeks, flats, bars, open water. The lighthouse area has em all, as well as the listed species - and more. I'd suggest checking out Sattelite images and finding the types of water that floats your boat. The adventure is 99% of it, catching 1%. (Well at least for me).

Also check out previous lighthouse posts or anything by big Irish., full of info on that area.

Tight lines.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
PCDevilFish

Post by PCDevilFish »

thanks...... I get a lot of adventure just trying to be a 1%er
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Like BK says what are you going to do? I fish with live mullet and cut mullet on the incoming tide at the Long Bar. There is a trough that runs the length of it on the east side, that is where the fish are, they are also on the potholes between the Long Bar and Spanish Hole, popping corks work well on the potholes.

The first cove to the east is Sandy Cove, it is shallow and does not hold fish in the summer because of the heat but the winter is different there. The next little cut you can skip but the 3rd one is Big Cove and it is full of fish, Reds along the grass lines with gold spoons and trout in the middle where the grass starts at the middle T. There are also a lot of stingrays and sharks back there so bring a dehooker. Look for the mullet schools and fish them hard and you will be rewarded.

If you launch and go west past the boat launch canal and follow the grass line to the point you are at the mouth of the East River aka Snotcat heaven, it is full of fish and oyster bars, you will scrap you yak here even though it looks like open water it is full of zigzagging oyster bars but it is out of the S/SE wind, it is about a 2 mile paddle one way even though you will be able to see your truck in the parking lot about 400 yards away once you come around pelican point.

Popping corks, plastic jerkbaits and gold spoons will work here.

Fish ON!