New to the area, looking for advice

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

321angler

New to the area, looking for advice

Post by 321angler »

So I'm originally from the cocoa beach area and grew up fishing mosquito lagoon/IRL/banana river and now I'm up here for school. Unfortunately, being new to the area means I don't know anything about the fishing :( would love to hear some suggestions and tips as to where to start. Eventually I'll bring my kayak up here from home but as of now I'm limited to places I can travel to on foot. If there's any advice anyone can offer to me about getting into some redfish, trout, or flounder, I'd be very appreciative :D. Not expecting any secret/hot spots but anything helps. Thanks for your time! :D
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New to the area, looking for advice

Post by jsuber »

We have launch sites on a google map on the home page. It's more than I had when I started fishing here. Lots of areas to explore and lots of fish to catch.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
gatoremt
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by gatoremt »

Be sure to look on the Saltwater page. There are several times that people will post they are going on a certain day if anyone wants to join. That is also a good way to get to know the area.
Griff ~ 14.5' UN
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit"What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate"
Deus bonus est,
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Edwade »

Some specific spots where I've had luck wade fishing: Mashes Sands, Bald Point, St Teresa, and the lighthouse. All are wadeable and hold fish. PM me if you'd like more detail. Good luck! Ed
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Buy a good set of charts from Crum's or somewhere. These will so the high spots and troughs, explore at low tide to get the lay, do not have any kind of bait or gulp etc in any pockets that are in the water, we have a lot of small sharks, they do not want you but they want the fish but ... :lol: . The floating blue bait sacks on a long line away from you work well as do the floating steel cages.

The end of the old dock at the Lighthouse, walk out between the pilings. At high tide it is chest deep in the middle but less than knee deep on the end, cast towards the Long bar where the boats cut thru.
Last Sunday This guy waded across from the old dock and walked out to the end of the Long Bar where I was catching trout.
3 wading.jpg
Bald Point from the dock area, find the crossing place ( it shifts with winter storms but it is always there) around the point and you can walk miles of oyster bars out there on the mouth of the Ochlocknee.

Alligator Harbor at Leonard's Landing, each walk thru has a high spot running out into the harbor, the last one will take you to the grass flats to the the right and you can walk all the way to the docks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

OK, I admit that I have grown a little more cautious in my old age but I have seen enough posts of big sharks in that area of the lighthouse to dissuade me. I use to wade fish there some but I had a close encounter with that big bull gator that hangs out there and frankly didn't take much comfort in telling myself that there was no way that a gator would eat a loyal Gator. :lol: :20
Littoral
Founder
Founder

Post by Littoral »

Wading here is a bit tough because good places can be hard to access, or know exactly how to get to. I mean good places, not just water. Now if you use bait and wait then you'll get something most anywhere.
If you want to do well on artificial then I like Big Irish's suggestion:
Alligator Harbor at Leonard's Landing, each walk thru has a high spot running out into the harbor, the last one will take you to the grass flats to the the right and you can walk all the way to the docks. I'll add that the bottom is a little soft so expect to sink a little, but not like you're used to at IR.
SeminoleDave

Post by SeminoleDave »

Until you get the kayak up here, Id recommend bald point for inshore, alligator point for surf. I have a buddy thats pulled some massive sharks and bull reds from that mini beach on AP. Bald point is great for flounder, redfish, and trout, although trout push to the deeper flats where there is vegetation so it may be hard to wade to that location unless its a dead low tide (be prepared to swim if you wait too long). There are a ton of oyster bars over there, find moving water and bait and you will undoubtedly find redfish and a flounder or two. If you have strong legs you can wade over to the west of the fishing pier and there are some really good oyster bars over there in shallow water but the ground is extremely silt. Follow this site and bigbendfishing.net and eventually you will establish some good stomping grounds.
321angler

Post by 321angler »

Really appreciate all the advice, guys. Fished bald point for the first time a few days ago with no luck but a few people wading the oyster bars had some luck with redfish and flounder.