new to forum

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Ed Mashburn
Baitor
Baitor

new to forum

Post by Ed Mashburn »

Good evening to all- Hope you all have great holidays.
I'm Ed Mashburn- we just got our fishcamp set up on St. Joe Bay, and we fish Wakulla River and St Marks quite a lot- love to drift a shrimp or GULP along oyster bars.
I do a bit of writing for Florida Sportsman and other magazines, and I have a new thing coming up pretty soon that I'll tell you about later.
We're planning on coming over to PSJ after the holidays- what do you recommend we look for? specks?
Hope to meet you all- Ed Mashburn
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: new to forum

Post by fishinbug »

Trout will be around, and you might be able to sneak up on a school of reds or two in the clear water.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
gatoremt
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by gatoremt »

Welcome to the forum and the area Ed. Merry Christmas.
Griff ~ 14.5' UN
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit"What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate"
Deus bonus est,
Ed Mashburn
Baitor
Baitor

Post by Ed Mashburn »

Good morning to all- If I put my kayak in at the lighthouse at St Marks, how far do i need to paddle to reach good winter fishing. Looking for bayous and creeks and such. I've fished the Long Bar and channel out from the lighhouse, and I've motored down to Rock Garden with Captain Mike Mcnamara, but i haven't worked the game refuge small waters much, and I'd like to try some.
Thanks fellers for your help- Ed Mashburn
Oh, yeas- if you'll check the latest issue of Florida Sportsman magazine, I've got a couple of articles in it.
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Welcome. Don't fish much by the lighthouse, but find the nearest creek and you can't go wrong this time of year.
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Edwade »

Welcome Ed. From the lighthouse you can go east about 1/4 mile and be in Sand Cove, or a mile and be in Big Cove. Both are fed with several creeks. But you might have better winter time success heading north up into East River. There are tons of oyster bars and it's pretty well protected. Good luck!
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Welcome, there wont be much in front on the Long Bar, the grass is dead and the bait is gone, but the East river maze of bars hold fish, trout along the stretch of beach that runs to the point on the mouth of the East River, Sand cove to the East holds minnows, Big Cove and then Stony Bayou this is the mouth of the spillway you discovered walking the dykes around the pools. Capt Mike is a great guide.
The fishing in winter has a touch to it, as you can see on the Sun and Sand post, Billy caught a limit while ED Wade taking pictures was skunked.
Reel-Fin-Addict
Founder
Founder

Post by Reel-Fin-Addict »

Welcome to the Forum Ed :D
Baja Bob
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Baja Bob »

Welcome