Winter Yak Gear

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

1MoreFish

Winter Yak Gear

Post by 1MoreFish »

Long-time reader, first-time poster. I got my first (and only) yak, a 14' Pescador, about a year ago but didn't hit the water until last summer. (Working for the Legislature and hauling kids around the Southeast for soccer tournaments pretty much eliminated Spring fishing for me. :cry:) I read everything I could about equipping the yak and customized it to my liking (so far). After a couple of exploratory trips around the St. Marks lighthouse area in the summer and fall, I finally slimed the boat in October with a few trout and reds in West Goose Creek.

I've really been looking forward to some winter fishing, before work and travel get crazy again. (I definitely plan to use some of the tips in the recent "Winter Fishing" thread - thanks to all the contributors to that one! :D) But, as a Florida boy who has never braved the winter waters in anything smaller than a 16' flats boat, I could use some advice on how to dress to keep myself relatively warm and dry - particularly when launching - and to avoid disaster should I end up in the water! Any thoughts?

Thanks! CK
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Winter Yak Gear

Post by cotton »

Absolutely No cotton! Here's what I wear. Good to freezing temps. I'm removing clothes as soon as the sun gets up. 5 layers up top if you count the life jacket.

Wool socks
Off brand underarmour long johns 100% polyester
Pants and long sleeve shirt
Poly hoody
Wind breaker
Cheap Rubber boots
Life jacket

I've seen the rubber boots replaced with dive boots and waders.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

I would guess, based on your ride, your derriere stays wet as mine does. I agree with Cotton concerning layers especially some form of synthetic wind breaker. I concentrate on keeping my core, feet and head warm. This year I purchased a fairly inexpensive (less than $100) "shortie" neoprene wet suit that seems to help a lot. Several have talked about using neoprene exercise shorts. I also wear neoprene booties with silk socks (layer with wool on really cold mornings) and under armor gloves.
I am reluctant to wear regular rubber boots or waders for fear that they will fill with water if you ever do flip. I am resigned to the fact that my feet will get wet when I launch and despite your best efforts your butt is going to stay wet. That is not necessarily a bad thing because the water is typically significantly warmer that the air temperature, in fact I normally do not get chilled until I am loading the boat to go home.
I always have a change of warm clothes in the truck in case I dunk. I would advise that if you have to wear too much clothing to easily tread water in order to stay comfortable in the weather conditions, stay home! :20

AND WELCOME! :mrgreen:
brianBFD

Post by brianBFD »

First post other than newbie thread.

I wear just about the same thing that cotton does. I have used a light rain jacket in lieu of a wind breaker though. Wool socks are great because they help keep you feet warm even when damp. I did however splurge on the footwear since my feet are sorta like my thermostat. Once they get cold, I'm pretty much done. I bought a pair of Chota Mukluk Lights a couple of years ago and they're still my very best winter time fishing accessory and one of my best overall purchases for kayak fishing. I pull them up over my pant legs and my feet and legs stay dry when launching and the black draws heat when the sun is on them. Even if you have some water get in, your feet stay dry and warm. Link below.

http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/footwear/mukluk-light/
If fishing is a sport, that makes me an athlete!
Fyrewalker
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Fyrewalker »

Bass Pro carries waterproof socks that are very good.
Good enough is good enough. Going the extra mile leads to exhaustion.
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

NO cotton, neo body/exercise shorts, then poly underwear, poly pants and shirt over that, rain jacket, rubber gloves and dive boots.

I also use lots of excuses between Thanksgiving and Daytona weekend. :lol:
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

I try to be prepared with hot coffee and Irish Cream. Some may disagree with that but few will turn down my offer to share.
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

BigIrish wrote: I also use lots of excuses between Thanksgiving and Daytona weekend. :lol:
Another BigIrish truism! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ed Mashburn
Baitor
Baitor

Post by Ed Mashburn »

Re- winter yak gear-
Good afternoon to all- On this very nasty day, discussion of keep-me-warm 'yak gear seems very appropriate. I agree with the poster who mentioned light weight waders for use on a kayak. I have a pair of waders that keep me very warm and dry even on windy very chilly days. of course, if I ever turned over and got in the water, that would be another set of problems- but, so far, that hasn't happened.
Water proof jacket over hoodie, my waders, and I'm good to go.
I would love to go fishing today, in fact.
good fishing to all- Ed Mashburn
1MoreFish

Post by 1MoreFish »

Thanks for all the helpful input! Looks like a great day to try it out!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.