Hickory Mound

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

NJSWalker
Baitor
Baitor

Hickory Mound

Post by NJSWalker »

I've never made the trek to Hickory Mound. A couple friends and I were thinking about going tomorrow. Low tide is around 11:15 from what I can see though I don't see specific tide information for Hickory Mound. Is 10:00 too late (I hear it gets really hard to put in at low tide)?? Also, which landing would you put in at? Thank you for your help and all the information shared at this site!
Lizard Lick 14.5' Slayer
Donttail
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Re: Hickory Mound

Post by Donttail »

I prefer the west ramp. Only a few places you have to worry about if the tide is really low. Good luck. Their also doing a draw down on the inside.
Red Zone Hobie PA :D :D
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

Rock Island is probably the best tide reference (about 2 miles to the East). I am not real familiar with the East ramp but looked like you should be OK on the tide. One shallow area just after the ramp. The West ramp is OK as long as you do not have a negative tide or a strong North wind.
West has the better ramp and shorter paddle to the Gulf. The East is pretty muddy launch at low but seems to have more holes and structure in the creek access to the gulf. HM has not been real productive so far this winter but everything is hit or miss this time of year. Never know until you try. :mrgreen:
If you don't take a google map, make a mental note of the turns on the way out. The marsh grass all looks the same. 8O

UPDATE: With 20 knot N winds forecasted this morning you might be in trouble at low tide. :20
ctoles86
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by ctoles86 »

last time I went to hickory mounds around one month ago someone had placed a large orange cone at the main creek that takes you to the main launch site. It really helps because all the creeks look the same and helps you if you venture out further on the flats. I just always use the observation tower for reference.