intro and question

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Tailwaters

intro and question

Post by Tailwaters »

Hi,

I am new to this site but have heard good things from a few of my friends who have talk about this forum for several years now. This is my first post so I'll try not to ramble too much. :-)

First a little about me. I am a Tally native and have been fishing and duck hunting out of a kayak since middle school (40 now). My first boat was called a Poke boat. Very light and open for a sit inside. Not sure if they even made a sit on top at that time. Anyways it was a good little boat for duck hunting in our local lakes and fishing the Wakulla beach area. During collage I went to a small school in Steamboat Springs and work for Wave Sport Kayaks building boats. They are a white water boat manufacture so some of you might not be familure with them. After coming back to Tally for a few years I move to Eugene, OR. for a couple and then back to Tally where I have stayed since. Although I'm a FL native at heart the mountains, white water and fly fishing for trout and steelhead tend to pull me out west from time to time. These days I spend most of my free time on the water between Hickory Mound and Lanark. As you might interpret from my background I tend to get a little board doing the same thing so I like to switch things up. Because of this I have one kayak, two canoes (one is a solo), a river hawk, Jon boat and Grady cuddy cabin I use for offshore fishing and diving.

So now to my question, Last Nov I rented a house on Andros. One of the main reasons I chose this particular place was because it came with a couple kayaks. When I spoke with the owner of the house before renting it I had asked if they were sit on top or sit inside? She said on top but come to find out they were sit inside. This kind of frustrated me a little but in reality I was on Andros for 10 days, how mad could I really be. I made do with what I had catching multiple species of reef fish along with a lot of bones on the flats. The issue that presented itself with the sit inside was that I wanted to dive for lobster and fish the deeper side of the reef. I wasn’t worried about rolling the yak in heavy seas but I couldn’t prevent the waves from possible swamping it. It also presented a challenge to use it to dive off for lobster in 20’ of water. Getting back in it was very difficult which brings me to my question. Have any of you found a good place in the islands or Central America that has half way decent boats? I prefer to DIY by renting a house in non tourist locations. Also are there any publications out there that discus this topic? I'd like to plan another trip later this year and am having a hard time finding something like this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: intro and question

Post by fishinbug »

In Central America I can recommend Nosara, Costa Rica; more specifically Playa Guiones. It's on the NW coast. http://fishingnosara.com/fishing-packages.php We fly into Liberia and it's a 2.5 hour ride over rough roads to get there. (The ride tends to weed out the "tourists" :lol: ) They have Ocean Kayaks to rent or charter for a snook fishing adventure at the mouth of the Nosara River. Equipment and accommodations are top notch. We'll be headed back to Costa Rica on Apr 30.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
Tailwaters

Re: intro and question

Post by Tailwaters »

Thanks for the help! I will check them out