Same lure, 3 colors

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

madphilip
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Same lure, 3 colors

Post by madphilip »

I have the same Yo-zuri pencil lure (walk the dog topwater) in three colors. I throw the bone color a lot, and usually catch fish on it. I've thrown the multi-color middle one some but with way less success. I've never thrown the translucent one, and am not sure when I should. This one has a bit of red on the bottom of the face the picture doesn't show.

My guess is the colorful one should be thrown in darker water and the translucent one in clear water in sunny conditions. I'm interested to see what others think on this. Should I just keep the bone one and throw the others out?

Thanks,
Philip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Same lure, 3 colors

Post by cotton »

I'm not a topwater expert, but I do throw them 50% of the time. As it warms up, that will move to 75%.

I use to only throw bone and swore it was the only color I needed in saltwater. The last two springs we have had very stained water and nature taught me a lesson. Its funny how you learn more when fishing is tough than when its easy.

I fish black when I get a chance to fish in the dark.
Chartreuse, pink and gold in stained waters.
Because we mostly have clear water, bone 75% of the time. What's weird is the folks over in PCB swear by the natural colors.

I find size and action matter even more than color(Keep it clean).
Big, loud, topwater lures when its really choppy. Super spooks, prop baits, etc..
Quite lures when its calm. Sebile stick shads, spook jrs, etc..

From your photo, I would only use the bone colored yozuri pencil and I would throw it only on calm days. I believe it would be comparable to a spook jr, with a little more glide. The other colors I wouldn't have enough confidence in.

I don't know about everyone else, but this has been the worst spring for topwater. Its not that you won't catch a few. Just fewer than years past. Be patient, soon all of them will work.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

My guess is that the subtle differences in colors shown isn't going to matter at all.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Agree with Michael on the slight variations in color. Doesn't seem that would matter much.

Tim's assessment of action and size are spot on, too.

How would you compare the pitch on these Yo-Zuris to One Knockers/Skitterwalks, Spook JR's, or others you've used, Phillip? I might have to try one. They sure do look pretty!

But pretty is in the eye of the beholder. My pristine bone One Knocker doesn't get as many hits as my old ragged, busted up, one-eyed, tooth-raked one does. Guess the ugly one looks more like a true wounded baitfish. 8)

Jean
ctoles86
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by ctoles86 »

I have had success with the "bone" color more than any other. I have tried a few of the colored ones without much success but then again maybe the fish just weren't biting that day. I'm gonna stick w/ bone and I do a slow retrieve with a lot of action and then all the sudden BAM!
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

ctoles86 wrote: I'm gonna stick w/ bone and I do a slow retrieve with a lot of action and then all the sudden BAM!
You have to believe in what you are throwing. Go get 'em and tell us about them.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
madphilip
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by madphilip »

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. These lures are very slightly, about 1/4", longer than a Super Spook Jr.

To my ears, the pitch is close to the Spook Jr. as well, but I think the yo-zuri is louder for the same action.

I suppose I'll keep throwing the bone one until I lose it, then I'll move on to the next one.
ctoles86
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by ctoles86 »

Last year I brought my brother to hickory mounds and gave him my lucky bone spook jr. Well he failed to tie a good knot and cast, which caused the lure to break and land in the perfect spot. I was upset and all the sudden a giant splash and ambush occurred and the lure dissapered.. Needless to say it was funny but sucked bc it was a big red or trout he would have hooked up with! He was left standing with a dissapointing look on his face.